Job Announcement: Outreach Director
Upper Missouri Waterkeeper (UMW) is a grassroots-based, regional nonprofit organization that serves as a public advocate for clean water and healthy communities in Southwest and West-Central Montana. We investigate pollution issues, patrol landscapes and waterways, and work with stakeholders to protect and improve the health of local waterways. We also hold polluters and our decisionmakers accountable by enforcing and improving environmental laws, and educate and empower the public in defending our right to fishable, swimmable, drinkable water and healthy river systems.
The Outreach Director plays a key role designing and leading activities and initiatives that engage citizens in water resource decisionmaking, expands public education opportunities, and builds organizational partnerships. The position reports to and works alongside the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will have a background that demonstrates effective campaign-building, communications & outreach, and community organizing skills. The ideal candidate is an organized and hard-working self-starter with a deep commitment and passion for conservation, environmental justice, and the intermountain West.
This is an excellent position for an individual seeking a leadership role with significant influence over the presence of a cutting-edge Montana water protection organization. We welcome creative ideas and innovative approaches to building effective campaigns that leverage strong science, citizen action, and the law to protect some of our nation’s Last, Best waterways.
The position is based in Bozeman, MT.
PRIMARY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop community outreach programming through educational and action events and presentations based on UMW campaigns and current water resource issues
- In collaboration with our team, develop and execute long-term and near-term media campaigns that highlight our work, including content for internal and external publication
- Manage, plan, and help execute rapid response(s) to breaking news
- Attend events to network and promote our organization and mission, many of which occur outside of traditional business hours
- Represent Upper Missouri Waterkeeper on various working groups and coalitions
- Assist with a variety of research, policy, and education activities (plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and aspects of water resources conservation)
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, environmental studies, journalism, creative literature, marketing, political science, or related field
- Excellent organizational, public speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience managing volunteers or group programming, including budgets and work-plans
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Commitment to mission of Upper Missouri Waterkeeper and the public interest
- Driver’s license, vehicle, and willingness to drive to various locations in Montana
- 2+ years of experience in non-profit advocacy, political organizing, cause–oriented campaigning, journalism or similar field. Demonstrated experience in public outreach/education, advocacy campaigns, or event planning
- Experience developing or managing communications for public interest campaigns or non-profit outreach efforts
- Relevant professional experience working in the American West
- Intermediate or higher-level proficiency with Microsoft Office (or equivalent), WordPress websites, Adobe Creative Suite essentials like Photoshop and InDesign, and Final Cut Pro (Adobe Premier).
- River paddling, outdoor guiding, or water science backgrounds are a plus
$40-45,000 DOE with exceptional workplace flexibility and generous time-off policies.
How to Apply:
Email a single PDF document containing a cover letter not exceeding 2 pages pitching why you are the right candidate to join our team, a resume or CV, and contact information for two references to: Guy@UpperMissouriWaterkeeper.org Please indicate in the subject line ‘Application – Outreach Director.’
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit an application by July 24th, 2020. No telephone calls or office drop-in’s, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Upper Missouri Waterkeeper is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and organizational needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.